Heraklion taxi provides private transfers from Heraklion airport to Paleokastro.
At the northernmost edge of the Cretan east coast near Paleokastro lie the ruins of a settlement which flourished during the Late Minoan period (1550-1220 B.C.). Its name remains unknown.
At the same site, however, remains of the Early and Middle Minoan periods (3000-1550 B.C.), mostly cemeteries with well-built ossuaries, and ruins of spacious houses are preserved.
It seems that the sanctuary was plundered and destroyed by fanatic Christians at the end of the 4th century A.D.
The site of the Minoan settlement, called Roussolakkos, was excavated by R.C. Bosanquet and in 1906 by R.M. Dawkins, both members of the British School of Archaeology in Athens.
The excavated sectors of the settlement suffered destruction during the Second World War and much later, by a digging machine. In 1965-66 excavations were conducted in part of the settlement and on the neighboring hill of Kastri. In 1986 excavations were resumed by the British School of Archaeology and are still in progress.
The most important monuments and buildings of the site are:
The Minoan town - A central street running through the habitation area is crossed by larger and smaller paved streets (some of them stepped), dividing the settlement in nine sectors. The town had an elaborate drainage system in all sectors. All the houses along the central street have imposing facades.